We have had a great first year on the blog. When I asked my son what he had enjoyed most about our garden, without any hesitation he listed the following:-
- Looking at the vegetables and feeling how heavy they were.
- Eating the vegetables.
- Finding ‘bones’ in the soil.
My garden stars of the year have been:-
- Very unexpectedly the french beans which were so very tasty to eat and easy to grow. So there will be more grown up the fence this year and over my son’s den.
- Nasturtiums which are such good flowers for children to grow. Dare I say even better to grow than sunflowers. Ours reseeded from last year. Because of last years cold winter they took a while to get going, but then flowered until November. It was lovely having some extra peppery flavour to our salads.
- There are no hostas grown in the ground in the garden as they are munched to death. But hostas in pots do survive and my Sum and Substance hosta looked wonderful this year.
- My son who has really enjoyed all garden activity. When it was suggested he should draw a flower he didn't just draw the standard sunflower-type flower. He produced a whole page of Venus Flytraps, including their food. I think perhaps we have visited Kew Gardens a bit too often.
Looking forward to our 2011 garden.